Thursday, July 20, 2006

Shadow Songs


Ever feel like a song is following you?

It seems like no matter where you are, or what you are doing you hear it. Sometimes, its melodies are almost as faint as a whisper. Other times, its vocals and chords are as blaring and as obvious as a Mack truck with its headlights staring you right in the face.

These songs may be like welcome old friends or unwanted distant relatives. Regardless, it is impossible to deny the presence of these songs. If we do so, it seems they taunt you for weeks or even months; popping up on the radio, doing a sneak attack on your ipod, taunting you through a store sound system, or even in some cases in a passerby's car stereo. You must accept the presence of these songs. Once you've accepted this fact, you begin to wonder whether these songs are all a mere coincidence or a sign?

I always take them as divine wisdom shedding light on my life through lyrical verse. Of course, the more logical explanation would be that you are only aware of these songs being the soundtrack of your life because you have subconciously made them that. If these songs did not have any meaning to you at all in your life during that hour, day, or week you would never notice them. Instead, you would bop your head along in unison rather than thinking 'I can't believe this song is playing AGAIN' or ' What are the chances I'd hear this song HERE?'

So, I ask you what does your current mental playlist scream out to you?

Songs that've been following me into the dark:
Sitting On the Dock of the Bay- Otis Redding, The One I Love- David Gray, Let Me Down Easy- Chris Isaak, and Secret Heart- Feist

7 comments:

Smapdi said...

even though most change from time to time Jeff Buckley's version of "the way young lovers do" has never left my subconsious since the first time i heard it.

SillyAlicat said...

Jeff Buckley singing anything is usually worth having in your subconcious, regardless of the reason it's there.

beyondthestairs said...

Augustana - Boston
Panic at the Disco - Cinnamon Lips
Mellencolin - The Ballad

I agree fully with your post. Ever made a life CD? Or in my case, a life CD book. It's a CD telling the story of your life with the songs that you feel described it in progression.

SillyAlicat said...

Flux, a life cd is a splendid idea! I need to get on that bandwagon. What does your life cd start with?

Candy, I agree. Panic at the Disco is a great group. Cinnamon lips, Ok GO! sings that too, don't they?

SillyAlicat said...

I'd like to append some songs to my list: Mona Lisa by Guster, Reunion by Stars and In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel. I've heard each very randomly about 10 times today.

beyondthestairs said...

My life CD starts with ¨The Ballad¨ by Millencolin

beyondthestairs said...

candachie
I found it on a burnt CD someone gave to me. Sorry if you were looking for an album or something.