Monday, August 28, 2006

....



So many people seem to come and go out of my life that I've made it a point to imagine their encounters in life, and in this large city of mine through their large terrified eyes. Although New York may not be the place where I will forever rest my head, for me it is home. It is a loud and boisterous haven.

Tonight we had a guest. A foreign guest from our mother country across the pond. He was a timid and polite sort; the kind us ravenous New Yorkers are very intrigued and confused by. There was the typical New York fanfare; the abundance of food and drink, the off -color humor, the louder than normal talking and the showy displays of affection. I've grown up with this. I'm usedto having 8 people tell the same story at once. I'm used to plates upon plates of strange named foods being shoved in your face. I'm used to the screaming that follows a tense round of Mafia. Sometimes I crave for simplicity of food and solitude but most often than not, I love the chaos.

Looking at things from our guests point of view, I would've been terrified. I think my brain would implode from the exertion it was puting forth in trying to follow a single converstion. My stomach would have expanded to great legnths just to fit that extra canoli.
We're a loving lot but it is beyond me how we don't scare all our guests away from our volume alone. I admire the brave souls that have dared to stay and tolerate the noise.


Today's Inspirations: Barbeque, Beth Ortin, Mafia, Brits and Mojito Madness

2 comments:

Smapdi said...

If love is really present, I'm sure he sensed it regardless of the volume. And that will keep people around.

Nina said...

whatever they love it! We're Crazy AMericans...everything is a mix, culture conversation food...and NYC is the best place to feel the energy that results when people come together from all over. I think NYC is a good place to learn how to come out of your shell because you have to keep up to survive...for those who would rather sit back and watch it all, they move to the country. But NYC is definitely for the energetic and loud-talking lovers...lovers of loud talking that is. ;)