Tuesday, April 21, 2009

From Cover to Cover


"Read the Bible daily." We are constantly admonished to do that. How many of us actually do?
I'm not sure and I won't turn this into a confessional blog. I will, however, and quite sheepishly admit that in the past I've allowed my daily Bible reading to fall by the wayside.

After a much needed reality check, I reinstituted my daily Bible routine and plan on finishing it within a year. I cannot even begin to gush about all the new and interesting facts I've learned and absorbed recently as well as the barrage of blessings I've begun to enjoy. Reading the Bible in a chronological order has allowed me to get a better grasp of Biblical history and lineages.

Anyhoo, here's a neat little point I gathered from my reading today taken from Exodus 35: 30-35:

30 Then Moses said to the sons of Israel: “See, Jehovah has called by name Bezalel the son of U′ri the son of Hur of the tribe of Judah. 31 And he proceeded to fill him with the spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding and in knowledge and in every sort of craftsmanship 32 and for designing devices, for working in gold and silver and copper, 33 and in working of stones to set them and in working of wood to make ingenious products of every sort. 34 And he has put it into his heart that he should teach, he and O‧ho′li‧ab the son of A‧his′a‧mach of the tribe of Dan. 35 He has filled them with wisdom of heart to do all the work of a craftsman and an embroiderer and of a weaver in blue thread and wool dyed reddish purple, in coccus scarlet material and fine linen, and of a loom worker, men doing every sort of work and designing devices.


Maybe this point was obvious to all you smart folks out there, but I was never fully aware that Jehovah had granted the gift of wisdom and understanding to learn a craft such as woodwork, stone-setting, etc in this situation. Because of these gifts, it enabled the Israelites to carry out Jehovah's purpose.

This made me think about the future. We always think about post-Armageddon and imagine lots of building, planting and a worldwide clean-up. Obviously, we're not all natural widdlers of wood. Not all of us know how to build a structurally sound house, or plant a lush garden in adverse climates. How amazing is it that Jehovah will give us the know-how and savvy to be able to do this, and in turn, carry out his purpose. It just made me realize that regardless of what our physical and mental limitations are, Jehovah's spirit can enable us to do things we never thought possible. I know that's an obvious and reiterated point but it's nice to see it from an unexpected angle such as this.

That is my one enlightening thought for the day. It was a bit paraphrased but I hope it made sense and was not mistaken for being "preachy."

No comments: