Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Ch-Ch-Ch-ange


Day two:


Living in a city that has served as a cocoon for the majority of my life, I have always welcomed change with open arms. New people, new places, new adventures. I love change. I always associate personal change with growth. I love when they change and restore old beautiful things that were once dingy and unloved. Somehow, the only time I abhor and I do mean abhor in the harsh sense it denotes, is when the places I love, adore, admire and revere come to change. I've seen a lot of change in my lifetime, within my congregation, my circle of friends, my and my beloved city.

I've always favored this place, the Outer Banks, to any other destination I've been because of it's serene and simple lifestyle. It's always been unpretentious, welcoming and beautiful. In the past 13 years I've been coming here I've seen the revamping of local restaurants, the renovation of beaten beach abodes and the occasional building of a local surf shop. Those changes, simple changes, make me smile.

Unfortunately, recently I've seen many new changes I do not like. Cape Hatteras is still very much a community that thrives on fishing and surfing. But, their quaint world isn't so quaint anymore. Granted, a McDonald's and Starbucks still haven't made their way to the chain of islands but in just a year that I've been absent from my seaside retreat I notice a big change. As I stroll though the local supermarket (which thankfully, oddly enough, is still a good thirty minutes away) I set my eyes upon an organic food section. It not only contained soys and grasses to appease the well trained yuppie eye but organic cleaning products, wines, and even dog food are in abundance. Organic dog food! Here! I fear this place is becoming yuppieized.

Sadly, as I walk through the aisles of the store and see a lack of khaki and a sea of mullets and Virginia logo t-shirts I feel at ease and I realize that the yuppieization of the Outer Banks will be a long time coming.

That day's inspirations: Elton John's Greatest Hits, the feeling of a shower right after a long day of beaching and coffee cake.

2 comments:

Lyssa said...

Don't knock the organic.

And a place with out a starbucks. I think I need to go get a brown paper bag!!!

deeeep breathes.

LOL. SOOOOOOOO SILLLYYYY!

SillyAlicat said...

I called up the 8 year old boy that owns that bike and after what seemed like a millenium of begging and crying he said "no, tell her she can't have the bike"

I tried, Rubes. Ok, maybe I didn't but that bike resides on an island far, far, away only acessible by a chain of bridges and then finally a ferry. I'll get you a toy model of one though :-D

Lyss, I brought my own Lavazza espresso from Italy. I don't ALWAYS need Starbucks. Ok maybe I do. It was a rough week.

I knocked the organic but I still bought chips and cereal from there. I'm a big fat hypocrite!