Sunday, September 17, 2006

Munchkin, Midget, Politely Incorrect?

Wikipedia.org explains a midget as:

In the 19th century, midget was a medical term referring to an extremely short but normally-proportioned person (e.g., with growth hormone deficiency), and was used in contrast to dwarf, which denoted disproportionate shortness. Like many other older medical terms, as it became part of popular language, it was usually used in a pejorative sense. When applied to a person who is extremely short, midget is now considered derogatory. The word dwarf has generally replaced midget even for proportionally short people, and the term little person is also sometimes used. According to the The Little People of America, dwarfism is "a medical or genetic condition that usually results in an adult height of 4'10" or shorter, among both men and women, although in some cases a person with a dwarfing condition may be slightly taller than that."

I was honestly in shock to find out that 4'10'' is the cut-off for a midget. That seems a bit "tall" don't you think. Ya learn somethin' new everyday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my sister is just shy of 5' even.. shes borderline little person i guess! I'm one of the lucky average height people. a very tall brother in my hall helped my realize nothing is made for the short or tall.. cars, rides, clothes.. everything is average size :(
side point i jumped off the bebo ship last week. climbing into multiply instead. its less "myspaceish" and more shutterfly.

SillyAlicat said...

The sad part about that Rubes is that he was probably sitting on a stack of phonebooks. As a lollipop geriatric he must be even shorter than he was in the movie. Aw.

Greges, I find that I just make the height cutoff for most things. If I was one inch taller I think i'd be very uncomfortable in life. I've never heard of multiply. I'll have to check it out. How's your supervisor.. ICK!