Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Moo-ve Over Carnivores


'You're one of those people who don't eat meat? How do you survive? I feel so bad for you! You can't even eat anything!'

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that. . .

Vegan or strict vegetarian is the elusive diet that many radicals and animal-rights activists share. It seems extreme. It seems impractical and it seems impossible to most.

With the way Americans have been trained to eat and drink, it can seem daunting to cut out meat, dairy, and even (shock, gag, horror) Jell-O. Why, wouldn't it be easier to swing by McDonalds and get a $1 cheeseburger? Oh, and don't forget the large fries and Coke!

Before I became vegan, I was not a vegetarian. I considered myself a foodie who'd try almost anything as long as it wasn't moving. Dairy upset both my stomach and sinuses so i opted out of dairy for quite some time. While pork and beef weren't mainstays of my daily diet, I'd eat them occassionally and without hesitance. I will admit, they were delicious. It was never something I craved, though and that revelation made me curious about this radical diet.

I decided on a month. From January 1st 2009 until February 1st, I was going to be a vegan. My last meal was a bacon cheeseburger. Basically minor coronary failure between two sesame seed buns. That was the last time I've had a bacon anything. My first meal as a vegan was soy milk and cereal for those curious. It was the beginning of the end.

I did my research. I didn't go into it blindly. I wanted to know how to sustain my body using plants and grains. I wanted to know where I'd get my iron and protein from. Research taught me lots. I learned that certain kinds of beans and legumes sometimes have hundreds of times of protein and iron than the average American steak.

With excitement, a desire to feel better and a little expert advice, I set off in the kitchen. I made vegan pizzas and lasagnas and puddings and pushed my culinary know-how to include a wide array of food. I loved the variety of colors and textures I was opening myself up to. I'm proud to say that my first month I didn't cheat at all. I stayed true to the challenge at hand and was even rewarded with a little less cushion for the-- well, you know.

I will admit that it's not the easiest. Looking at most menus, I cringed. There was only so many times I could order a salad (hold the cheese), with a side of bread. It wasn't just about training myself, it was about training my friends too. I was able to eat any cuisine with a little forethought, creativity and planning. Basically, the only type of restaurant I avoided were steak houses. Shame, who doesn't like the smell of mass produces seared cow flesh?

Although I've recently downgraded to being a vegetarian, aside from moderate cheese consumption and the delectable runny egg, I still have a vegan state of mind. After you've had vegan peanut butter bomb cake you'll understand why. Cue a Meg Ryan moment. You'll want to have what I'm having.

Is it odd to say that I feel closer to the earth? To the creations provided for out benefit? Since being a vegan/vegetarian I've become heavily interested in homeopathic cures and became moderately obsessed with the power of honey and raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Maybe it's my inner hippie trying to break free but I feel better knowing I'm doing all that I can for myself and the environment around me. Not to mention, only 2 colds in 2 years!

Of course, I don't think it's for everyone but I do think people should think before they eat, listen to their bodies and remember that good things are worth the effort. It's just as relevant with food as it is love, folks!

So, take your shoes off. Walk through grass barefoot. Clean out those arteries. Eat more brussel sprouts. Eat less meat. Drink more wine. Leave less of a carbon footprint. Run, don't walk. And embrace your inner flower child because somewhere deep down we all have one.

No comments: